Saturday, March 28, 2009

News on Earth Hour

I participated in Earth Hour tonight. I turned out all the lights in my room and even convinced my roommates to do the same. We decided to light candles to do whatever it was we wanted to for the hour. As I was trying to explain to my friend, it is not about how much energy was saved during the hour. The purpose of this event is to raise awareness about global warming, and show that you support new legislation and public action against the harmful effects of our current lifestyles. I find it amazing that this all started in Sydney, Australia, and has now been adopted by millions of people, businesses, and governments all over the world. It actually brought a tear to my eye to watch the following clip on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qr8QXWzT9U&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eearthhourus%2Eorg%2Fvideo%2Ephp&feature=player_embedded
It is very motivating to see all the before and after pictures both on youtube and on the Earth Hour website. All of these people care about changing this course we are on, and it really moved me. I feel that my motivation for doing better for this planet is completely renewed.

The World Wildlife Fund, the organizer of the event, got support from bigger corporate sponsors such as Coca-Cola, E-Surance, HP, and Wells Fargo. Some national landmarks that made a statement this evening include the Las Vegas Strip, the Gateway Arch of St. Louis, the Empire State Building, and the Golden Gate Bridge. The Pyramids of Giza, the Eiffel Tower, and Notre Dame Cathedral also sacrificed light for an hour in their respective cities around the world. I look forward to watching the news tomorrow to see what other impacts this event has made tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment