Saturday, March 14, 2009

A Few Energy Saving Tips

For the whole past week I have been keeping a list of small things I did to conserve energy. I realize how small the impact is, but these are some things I do to that make myself feel good:
-I did a couple loads of laundry, both in cold water. I started doing this with my color loads to preserve the colors of the fabrics, but I decided that it would not hurt to wash all loads cold.
-I recently started unplugging small appliances after using them. For example, the toaster and blowdrier this week. Other items I try to keep unplugged are the blender, my cell phone charger, and lamps. It is amazing to think that these things all draw energy from the electrical socket when not in use!
-We also change the thermostat setting when leaving the house for the day. Currently the temperature outside is in the 50's, and so setting the temperature to 60 from 65 degrees is a small difference that is quickly adjusted when we return home.
-And as always, I try to take the bus to campus. This week I managed to drive my car to campus only twice. I find that when I am managing my time better, I am more comfortable taking the bus. Hopefully I can keep this up .

No comments:

Post a Comment