Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Environmental Cost of Clothing

Every once in a while my aunt mails me a box filled with snacks and treats to get me through long nights of studying. This week I opened up a package to find a long sleeve, purple t-shirt with a tag proclaiming that it is part of an eco-friendly collection. The composition of the top is 96% viscose and 4% elasthane. I wanted to know more about how these materials are better for the environment, and during my browsing I found a website called treehugger with the article "Is Viscose the Way to a Greener Future?" by Jenna Watson. Watson discusses a study in which the environmental impact of a cotton t-shirt and viscose blouse are compared. My initial thoughts were that the viscose must be made from a more eco-friendly manufacturer or fabric, but it turns out the problem with cotton lies with the consumer. The author makes the argument that clothes are made being made cheaply with the idea that the consumer will buy a new wardrobe next season. Clothing made from materials such as viscose and other synthetic materials, according to Watson, last longer, leaving the customer with a wardrobe that can last through many washes. Another hang-up with cotton is its demanding care instructions. Because cotton requires hot water, tumble dying and hot ironing, according to the tag, its cost on the environment is much higher than synthetics that can be washed cold, hung to dry, and rarely need ironing.

Watson mentions that more recent generations have gotten away from hand-me-downs and second hand clothing. I can relate to this because my sister, four years younger than myself, refused to wear my old clothes. She wanted new clothes as often as she could get them, and being the baby of the family, she often got them. A few months ago, however, I saw a commercial on t.v. for a place called Plato's Closet. The concept behind this place is to get broke college students into new, designer name clothes for cheap. The catch: the clothes are "gently used." The customer can either pay for the "new" clothes, trade some of their own clothes for "new" ones, or just get cash for handing over their clothes. This seems like a great alternative to spending a pretty penny on new clothes each season. We may not be able to help having to wash our clothes, but this store and the article above demonstrate we can definitely find new ways to care for the environment through our purchases. If you would like to read the article for yourself, you can find it at: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/01/is_viscose_the.php#ch06.

No comments:

Post a Comment