Friday, March 6, 2009

My Carbon Footprint

Have you seen the commercials for the online car insurance company staring the cartoon woman with purple hair? I thought the futuristic outer space theme and paperless system was simply a great advertising scheme, but recently a friend told me to take a peek at their website. I was so excited to find the E-surance website full of information about greener living. The website has lots of consumer information about their partnerships and contributions towards a greener America. It is quite impressive for a company to take such bold step in this green movement. I am particularly excited to have calculated my carbon footprint with their online survey. I discovered that with my current habits my carbon footprint is 11.1 tons per year (yes, i know that is ridiculous!) and my Earth Conservation Plan, or ECP, is 307. The average carbon footprint for a resident of College Station (mostly just a college town) is 16.7 tons per year per person, 15.4 for the average American. The plan allows you to measure the improvements you make in your scores as you change your habits to be greener. I encourage you to calculate your own and see how you compare. The only issue I have with this approximation is the fact that it is geared towards households rather than individuals. And so the score I gave above is actually the combined score for my two roommates and I. Have a try at it yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment